1 (edited by Purgle 19-07-2017 13:04:02)

Topic: MapInfo universal translator

Hi
I attempted to use the MI universal translator in MI (v15.0.2) yesterday to translate files into shapefiles and it won't open from the tools menu, giving an error message I've never seen before saying the program can't be run. I've tried re-loading it before running it but get the same error.

We only use it periodically and I haven't used it for several months so I'm not sure when it stopped working. Is anyone else having any problems with it? I've tried to raise it as a problem with Pitney Bowes but can't as yet no response via their online support so I thought I'd see if its a problem unique to us.

Thanks
Purgle

Purgle Linham
Wiltshire & Swindon Biological Records Centre

Re: MapInfo universal translator

I'm running MapInfo Pro 11.5 and it is working fine today.

MapInfo 11.5
Universal Translator 9.0
Windows 7 x64

In the past when MapInfo has misbehaved the usual resolution has been via reinstalling a given Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable

Thanks. I'm not very clear what that means but I've asked our IT officer who deals with Microsoft (but not MI) and hopefully will be able to check this.

Out of interest, how do you get the info on the version of UT?  Also does yours sit here: C:\Program Files (x86)\MapInfo\Professional\Tools. I can't see anything called Universal Translator MBX in this folder and I assume it should be there.

Purgle Linham

Ignore my previous email, I now know where the MUT.mbx file lives smile

After extensive investigation we've discovered its something to do with a Windows 7 update. It works fine on a PC with Windows 10.

Purgle Linham