Topic: Who uses the Gateway, or other online system, to deliver services to..

...their partners.

One LERC I know of uses the Gateway and webservices to deliver data to their partners, including LA partners and recording groups.  Clearly when the current Gateway is turned off this will present them with problems, so they were wondering if others are operating in a similar way, or whether they might be using a different online system that will not be affected by the switch off.

Therefore, it would be handy to conduct a straw poll.  Could you choose one of the following:

A. We use no online system to deliver data services to partners or clients
B. We an NBN Gateway based system to deliver data services
C. We use another online system to deliver data services.

Many thanks,

Tom Hunt - ALERC National Coordinator

Re: Who uses the Gateway, or other online system, to deliver services to..

A.

Charlie Barnes
Information Officer
Greater Lincolnshire Nature Partnership

A

Camilla Burrow
Director, Thames Valley Environmental Records Centre

oops, I mean B for sending data to the EA!
A for sending data to LAs

Camilla Burrow
Director, Thames Valley Environmental Records Centre

BRERC does C

Although we use other mechanisms in addition to delver data as some partners/users are not yet geared up to recieve it via on-line systems.

We use the Gateway to deliver data to the EA

So in fact BRERC uses A, B, and C

Tim Corner

If we're including data pulled off the Gateway by third parties (rather than a system based on the NBN webservices api), then we're a B as well!

Charlie Barnes
Information Officer
Greater Lincolnshire Nature Partnership

B for data to EA, otherwise A

Maria Longley
Community Manager
Greenspace Information for Greater London CIC (GiGL)

There's an announcement on the EA elsewhere, so assuming that is covered, I am more interested in local partners as we wouldn't otherwise know about these.

Thanks,

With our local partners it is normally C.

We use the Gateway to deliver data to the EA Only.

Lizzy Peat
HBIC

A

Purgle Linham
Wiltshire & Swindon Biological Records Centre

Hi Everyone,

Thanks very much for the responses.  Martin Horlock and I met with Jo Judge last week and discussed this issue.  Jo is willing to help and there could be options to explore, so I will keep you posted as and when those discussions take place.

It looks then as though there is only one LERC who is using the webservices API to service other clients, which may make things easier (although not for them).  If there is anyone else out there who is yet to respond, but would like to, please do so.

Many thanks,

B for the EA and South West Water

A and C for other deliveries.

Thanks. SW water is a new one.  Does it affect other LERCs?

Regards,

14 (edited by BDeed 15-08-2016 12:53:28)

Surprised i missed this!

Consuming -  B. We are very active in using the NBN API as part of our reporting mechanism. Downloading data 'on-the-fly' for inclusion in our semi-auto reporting process. This includes for LA partners, commercial and non-commercial services. We also promote the Gateway as a direct means of access to MBB managed records for recorders and local naturalists. (permissions controlled via the account).

Delivery - B. we use the Gateway to deliver records to the EA and also JNCC. We also offer the facility as a potential for access by commercial users but there has been no uptake to date.

Ben Deed - LERC Officer
Merseyside BioBank

A

currently B for EA only

Just to add on because i am awkward.

Just read the post regarding discussions with Jo (http://forum.lrcs.org.uk/viewtopic.php?id=1214#p4987)

That the new API will only be able to access data based on single (i.e. public) resolution is a bit of a disappointment. We have put a lot of effort into negotiating improved access for higher resolution data than many organisations would want to share publically for a variety of reasons (not just commercial sensitivity).

When the Atlas replaces the Gateway the likely result will be that some organisations may either remove data or upload only the blurred resolution. With no improved access possible this will mean we will need to re-negotiate 'offline' agreements which are likely to be less attractive because of the increased workload...

Ben Deed - LERC Officer
Merseyside BioBank

Just to say that DGERC provides enhanced access to our data on the NBN gateway to SNH. Certainly doesn't appear we'll be able to do that via the Atlas  system without making all our data available at full resolution (which given our current business model is not feasible). We also give full access to some Scottish 'county' recorders (e.g. the dragonfly recorder for Scotland) and have also allowed some enhanced access for research purposes. Can't see how that can work in future unless the business model for LERCs in Scotland changes following the forthcoming review (that's a discussion for another topic).

MARK

Mark Pollitt
SWSEIC (formerly DGERC)