Topic: Import Error

Well, I've at the stumpted stage of things now. Smartgroups appears to be dead in the water & am fed up trying to track down this weird error we're getting. Essentially I'm getting a consistent error when doing any kind of import. I'm using test datasets which work fine in R2K, but no dice with R6.
We've followed everything for making a user group, linking it to the dbs, giving read/write/modify access to all users for the root folder on the server, rebooted a few times & still same error.

Exception occurred in application Recorder 6 at 14/02/2006 11:54:41.
Version : 6.6.8.59

Exception path:
EOleException : ODBC--call failed

Last event\actions:
  actImport invoked
  TfrmImportWizard created
  TfrmImportWizard activated

Operating System : Windows XP  5.01.2600  Service Pack 2
Physical Memory available : 515,452 KB

DLLs loaded:
  advapi32.dll (5.1.2600.2180)
  comctl32.dll (5.82.2900.2180)
  comdlg32.dll (6.0.2900.2180)
  gdi32.dll (5.1.2600.2180)
  HHCtrl.ocx (5.2.3790.1280)
  kernel32.dll (5.1.2600.2180)
  mpr.dll (5.1.2600.2180)
  MS5.Dll (5.0.0.12)
  MS5User.Dll (5.0.0.4)
  odbc32.dll (3.525.1117.0)
  ole32.dll (5.1.2600.2180)
  oleaut32.dll (5.1.2600.2180)
  shell32.dll (6.0.2900.2180)
  user32.dll (5.1.2600.2180)
  version.dll (5.1.2600.2180)
  winmm.dll (5.1.2600.2180)
  winspool.drv (5.1.2600.2180)

I'm still releuctant to do a reinstall as I think it's got more to do with network than R6, but at this stage I'm ready for any constructive comments.

BTW, have got all Scotland's maps working beautifully with all 127 Reserves linked to polygons etc. The key to the bulk loader is you've got to have all the tiles in C:\Program Files\Recorder 6 Workstation\Map Files then close all windows & bulk loader will appear on the map menu. Choose what's relevant & there ye go!

Have also rewritten the network & workstation install guide so it's on 3 pages & all the permissions stuff that's on Page 25 is in the opening paragraph, if anyone's interested.

But back to this import business. I've tried 5 different tests, re: .xml, zipped Access db. Excel, .Csv & all manner of original locations & same error. Am truly stumpted. Is this anything to do with the SP4 business that Brian Miller was experiencing back in January maybe?

Many thanks folks, Rob.

Rob Bradley
Edinburgh

Re: Import Error

Hi Rob,

I think this may be one for Dorset. I wish the exception error reporting was a little bit more verbose to give us a bit more of a clue. I'm not sure why Rec6 would be using ODBC to connect to MSDE/SQL server. Are there any ODBC connections in your ODBC control panel which point to Recorder 6 or 2000? Did you have Recorder 2000 on the client machine before? Could it be a registry setting that's confusing the issue? Rob, sorry these are only guesses. We have other problems too such as the report wizard not finding records which are in the database, having been imported from Recorder 2000 (which finds them ok). Odd.

I'll let you know if there is any more info I can gleen.

The ODBC connection is to do with the temporary Access database that gets created when doing imports. The ODBC--call failed error means SQL issued via the ODBC connection failed, but what that SQL was, or why it failed is a bit of a mystery. You also get these errors in the import rejects file.

I'd agree this is one for JNCC/Dorset. Steve Wilkinson is the current JNCC contact in Hannah's absence, and Sam Story is the Dorset contact you need.

I agree it's a tad strange, however I Googled it & added SQL 2003 to give me the link below to M$. Have passed it on to our ICT folk to think about. Have also forwarded note onto JNCC, but will now pass it onto the contacts you suggested.

http://support.microsoft.com/Default.as … mp;sid=307

Rob Bradley
Edinburgh

charlesr wrote:

The ODBC connection is to do with the temporary Access database that gets created when doing imports. The ODBC--call failed error means SQL issued via the ODBC connection failed, but what that SQL was, or why it failed is a bit of a mystery. You also get these errors in the import rejects file.

I'd agree this is one for JNCC/Dorset. Steve Wilkinson is the current JNCC contact in Hannah's absence, and Sam Story is the Dorset contact you need.

As that's the case then, Rob - are you able to share any MDB file via ODBC on your machine? That would verify the MS Access ODBC drivers are working ok.

I expect the use of ODBC & MDBs for temp databases is a reuse of existing 2000 code, but (apart from getting CREATE/DROP DATABASE rights into MSDE/SQL Server from the Rec6 client) is seems odd that MSDE/SQL server is not used for that.

Rather than create a new thread, I thought I'd re-use this related thread. This message was also posted to the smartgrops forum (in theory!).

R2002 Import Wizard problem - Matching Names Invalid Operation

I've recently had a problem with the Import Wizard for R2002 (2.3.7.8) when importing from Excel. I get as far as the Match Species Names section but clicking the 'Search' button gives an 'Invalid Operation' message. I can select species manually using the magnifying glass feature, but i'm reluctant to do this for the 300 or so species in the list. Since the error does not produce a exception, there is no 'Last Error' message to post to the group. Any thoughts on this problem would be gratefully recieved.

Although the problem first appeared on my machine which also has R6 installed, the same problem occurs on other workstations that do not have R6.

Dave Slade
Senior IT & Records Officer,  SEWBReC
13 St Andrews Crescent, Cardiff, CF10 3DB

Hi there Dave,

Does it matter which list you're selecting from? Maybe try a Taxon dictionary rebuild?

I've not been using 2K for a whiley now, so have (almost) forgetten its quirks!

Separately, regarding above thread, other than planning to change the next install to SQL authentication as opposed to the trusted group setup we have now, we're still none the wiser how or even why this is happening.

Cheers now, Rob.

Rob Bradley
Edinburgh

8 (edited by DaveSlade 19-04-2006 12:07:39)

No, it didn't seem to matter which list I used.

I've tried rebuilding the dictionaries and this has had no effect.

Thanks,
Dave

Dave Slade

9 (edited by DaveSlade 25-04-2006 16:00:04)

What started as a relatively minor irritation has turned into a big headache.
Rebuilding the dictionaries made no difference so I tried re-installing R2002 on the workstation. The trouble is, the install process stop at the Install Add-Ins part - it just stops with no sign that anything is wrong other than a process that should take a matter of minutes doesn't do anything.
Knowing that R6 can cause problems with Addins, I then unstalled the workstation copy of that and tried again, but R2002 still wont get past the Addins.
So I'm stumped. Any ideas on what is causing the problem or a possible solution would be very welcome.

Dave Slade

Dave,

I've just had this same problem. I cleared out both JNCC and Dorset Software registry settings, then the installer completed.

ref:  HKEY_CURRENT_USER & HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

Hope this helps.

Dave,

I know that the registry setting are different,( JNCC for R2K & Dorset for R6) but have you cleaned them out before doing the re-install?

There used to be a couple of threads here which highlight this, all I could find is this one:

http://www.smartgroups.com/message/view … ageid=2209

Cheers now , Rob

Rob Bradley
Edinburgh

Thanks gents, I'd only cleared out one of the JNCC registry settings not both.

So I've got Recorder 2002 working again, but I've still got the Import Wizard problem - Matching Species Names (from any list) produces an Invalid Operation error.

Dave Slade

It seems that the 'Invalid operation' error in this case was caused by the size of the file being imported. Thanks to John van Breda who suggested this for a different problem!

Dave Slade