Topic: NBN touting for buisness

Has anybody seen this email that was sent out by the NBN. it seems a little misleading!
--
Subject: Find out about the wildlife mapping system which can help your business

The National Biodiversity Network is exhibiting at Ecobuild

Find out more about a mapping system which shows the distribution of UK wildlife. 
http://news.nbn-mail.org.uk/NLI/LE35.as … AAA4741A7F

Find out how this simple mapping system can help your business

Data from the NBN Gateway are already being used for land management, planning, policy making and research, so pop by for a demonstration of how it could help you in your business.

Visit us on stand S1870 in the Biodiversity Pavilion

The NBN Gateway holds millions of records for species that have been observed in the UK - from plants and insects to birds and mammals - and new and updated datasets are added every month. It allows users to search for information on species across the UK from 10km scale up to six figure grid reference detail in some cases. 

The results are then displayed on maps, which can be customised to show different background layers, different date ranges, or zoomed to particular geographic regions. The data can also be downloaded and better access requested where necessary.

Come and visit us so we can show you how it all works.

Suzanne

Suzanne Waymont
Greater Manchester Ecology Unit/ Greater Manchester LRC

Re: NBN touting for buisness

Whilst I sort of agree with you, do we all not have the right to tout for business and if resources permitted make more of our services directly to the business community?

Louise, CPERC

swaymont wrote:

Has anybody seen this email that was sent out by the NBN. it seems a little misleading!
--
Subject: Find out about the wildlife mapping system which can help your business

The National Biodiversity Network is exhibiting at Ecobuild

Find out more about a mapping system which shows the distribution of UK wildlife. 

Find out how this simple mapping system can help your business

Data from the NBN Gateway are already being used for land management, planning, policy making and research, so pop by for a demonstration of how it could help you in your business.

Visit us on stand S1870 in the Biodiversity Pavilion

The NBN Gateway holds millions of records for species that have been observed in the UK - from plants and insects to birds and mammals - and new and updated datasets are added every month. It allows users to search for information on species across the UK from 10km scale up to six figure grid reference detail in some cases. 

The results are then displayed on maps, which can be customised to show different background layers, different date ranges, or zoomed to particular geographic regions. The data can also be downloaded and better access requested where necessary.

Come and visit us so we can show you how it all works.

Suzanne

I agree with both. The NBN like any organisation will have their own organisational objectives and their own vision as to how they will work in the future and how the services they provide will be used.

The concern as i see it is that the NBN should keep in mind that the data it bases its services on all comes a wide variety of organisations that have the right to remove data if they see fit. I suspect however that the source of future issues will be in mis-communication on what the NBN is. By way of an example;

You have an online service that is offering to integrate biodiversity mapping and access to biodiversity information into your own website, or even into your own local planning system, via their web services, the implementation is easy (there are pre made web/GIS modules) and the cost is low (it's subsidised 'public' information service after all!). You are a Local Authority with an agreement of say

Ben Deed - LERC Officer
Merseyside BioBank

Mandy has spoken to Jim Munford.  They are only going to make people aware of the Gateway's existence.  All normal T&Cs and rules apply.  I suppose this could actually be beneficial to LRCs if developers become aware of LRC data and services through the Gateway.

Tom Hunt - ALERC National Coordinator

Perhaps it could have been mutually beneficial to have had a joint NBNT and ALERC stand to advertise both the services that NBNT can provide via the Gateway/portal, and the services of LRCs as representative of the broader NBN partnership.  Is this the sort of promotion that ALERC members are looking to ALERC to provide for its members?

Mark Wills
Director, ALERC
Ecological Information Officer, N&EYEDC

My main concern was that the email gave the wrong impression to businesses (or LAs) that they could get a load of data for free from the NBN.  The email came to me with my planning hat on rather than my LRC one.

I'm all for the NBN promoting themselves, just not offering other people's data as being freely available.

Suzanne Waymont
Greater Manchester Ecology Unit/ Greater Manchester LRC

Yes these days Free is a loose term.

Tony Price
Data Manager, Somerset Environmental Records Centre (SERC)

The NBN as a whole will be promoted at this event as well as the Gateway, including the latest NBN leaflet advising people to go to the local record centres to obtain the local detail and knowledge. ALERC has just produced a flyer on LRCs which the Trust staff will distribute at this event for us, with the ALERC web address on so event attendees can find the relevant LRC for any projects or developments they may be working on.

I am very positive about this - it is exactly the kind of event which will help raise awareness of LRC services as well as the other resources within the NBN. Many thanks to all at ALERC and NBNT who helped with the flyer, and I hope it will be a really successful event with many thousands of people seeing what information is available and the attendees thinking about the biodiversity as well as the other environmental impacts of their ecobuilds!

Teresa Frost
WeBS National Organiser, BTO. NFBR Council Member.
ex-ALERC/CBDC/KMBRC