Topic: Bat Conservation Trust Bat Alert Layers

The Bat Conservation Trust have developed bat alert layers for use by local authorities and are interested collaborating with LRCs.  An email will shortly go out to English LRCs asking if anyone is interested in being involved and providing more information.  A record of the meeting between ALERC and BCT can be found here https://www.dropbox.com/sh/zfban78u7bu40p2/vLgA4GLzeJ.

If you think this could be interesting for your LRC and want more information, or want to ask questions, please feel free to post here or email me directly.  BCT are initially looking to pilot the layers with five LRCs.

Regards,

Tom Hunt - ALERC National Coordinator

Re: Bat Conservation Trust Bat Alert Layers

Hi Tom

We have already tried something similar and no useful correlations/associations emerged for Greater Manchester.

Suzanne

Suzanne Waymont
Greater Manchester Ecology Unit/ Greater Manchester LRC

Hi Tom, we would be interested in working with BCT on this.

Henri

Hi Tom

Why only English LRCs on this project - BCT is a national body. Or is this using Defra/NE funding?

It's a shame as we wanted to develop something similar for one of our users.

Adam

Adam Rowe
Manager, South East Wales Biodiversity Records Centre (SEWBReC), 13 St. Andrew's Crescent, Cardiff, CF10 3DB. T: 029 2064 1110

Hi Tom
We would also be interested in being involved with this.

Thanks
Purgle

Purgle Linham
Wiltshire & Swindon Biological Records Centre

Hi Henri,

That's great, I'll put you in contact with the BCT person.

Hi Adam,

I asked the same question, but I can't remember the answer.  I'll try and find out and post it here.  I think there is definitely merit in sharing the ideas of LRCs who have already started working on bat solutions with the BCT, and I wonder if Wales being more a blank canvas offers us an opportunity.

One criticism of BCT's England approach might be that they didn't approach LRCs in first instance.  However, this would not be the case for a Wales based project.  Would it therefore be a good idea to put your work to BCT and see if a joint project could be devised for SE Wales, which may end up being similar or different  to the England one?  There could be some lessons learned from this project that would not be learned from the England pilots.

Regards,

I have passed on an email address for everyone who as expressed an interest (including Purgle who I forgot to acknowledge earlier).

Regards,