Topic: Tools for Managing MSDE

Seeing as MSDE doesn't come with any easy-to-use tools for administration I thought I'd post a couple of links to some free tools I've found.

DbaMgr2k - a little clunky, but has some crucial tools, including backup/restore and detach/attach. A very capable tool, seeing as it's free.
EMS MS SQL Manager Lite - Nice interface; good query tools; lacking in some important features. The full version, which does include those all important missing features, isn't going to break the bank at $98.00 (about

Re: Tools for Managing MSDE

charlesr wrote:

Seeing as MSDE doesn't come with any easy-to-use tools for administration I thought I'd post a couple of links to some free tools I've found.

DbaMgr2k - a little clunky, but has some crucial tools, including backup/restore and detach/attach. A very capable tool, seeing as it's free.
EMS MS SQL Manager Lite - Nice interface; good query tools; lacking in some important features. The full version, which does include those all important missing features, isn't going to break the bank at $98.00 (about

Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Developer Edition costs you about

Welcome to the forum, Darwyn. Out of interest, how much did the course cost, and where was it based?

Regarding moving your database about, SQL Server doesn't require you place the .mdf file in any particular directory; rather, it requires that you 'attach' the mdf to the server instance. As such, you can place the mdf anywhere. There a MS article on the subject here, showing you how to do it using just T-SQL. There's also a good tutorial here using EM. Pay particular attention to the ophaned users section at the end. There's some documentation on the R6 install CDs regarding this, but I don't have it to hand. I think it's on the network install CD.

Charles

Out of interest SQL Server Express Edition 2005 can be downloaded here; (but in not sure if the manager in included)

http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/expre … ault.aspx/

Thanks for the heads up about the Developer product. I'll look into that.

Pages 1

You must login or register to post a reply

ALERC Forum → LERC Databases → Tools for Managing MSDE