Topic: Automated photo ID service

This is completely amazing:

http://photoid.naturalvision.de/

There is some background detail from the developer here:

http://danielnouri.org/notes/2014/09/13 … th-a-snap/

And an example of it in action:

https://twitter.com/id_butterflies/stat … 7047881728

Re: Automated photo ID service

Hi Charles, this is superb thanks for posting.

The butterfly one seems to handle most things well and i was surprised to find it suggested Common Blue for a photo of a particularly battered and poor specimen. The only photo i have had it struggle on was Dark green fritillary. where i submitted a photo of the under wing and then an oblique of the top (somewhat unfair). The under-wing suggestions were completely out but the obliques came back as other (rarer) fritillaries.

For the most part it has managed common and more unusual species very well including being able to separate the Whites! (correctly suggesting identifications for Green-veined White and Large White). All round very impressive!

Ben Deed - LERC Officer
Merseyside BioBank

Wow! I tried an oblique one first too which it couldn't cope with. But it got my dingy skipper and large skipper, very impressive.

I always thought it would be moths that would be the obvious first choice for useful image recognition. I still do actually - most of what you do to start with is thumb through the book pattern matching, and moths usually sit nice and still for photos, most of them are doable by the pattern and most species are not very variable. This would at least get you in the right area. Surely only a year or two away before we have an app, especially if this guy can be funded to do it!

Teresa Frost
WeBS National Organiser, BTO. NFBR Council Member.
ex-ALERC/CBDC/KMBRC

Anyone fancy five minutes on the soapbox to demonstrate this at the conference?

Anyone fancy five minutes on the soapbox to talk about open data?

Regards,

Tom Hunt - ALERC National Coordinator

Sure, why not, good idea. Nothing like the thrill of a live internet-based demo. :-)

I think that would be great.  How many species could be identified in five minutes?

It's tempting to start testing some variables by altering the colours etc.  However, I think that would only serve to satisfy curiosity to rather than any practical purpose.

Tom

Tom Hunt - ALERC National Coordinator

Hi Tom, myself and a few volunteers have had a go as this is exactly the kind of think people keep asking for and i would like to promote it to the recording community (but not without checking it first!).

Butterflies seem to work very well with a few difficulties when the photo is oblique or a species with similar relations (fritillaries). Other than that i have been very impressed.

Plants haven't seemed to work too well but this could be because of the photos that were being send. The only success i have had has been with Purple Loosestrife.

I've tried a couple of birds. Moorhen was correctly identified but a slightly out of focus Grey Heron was identified as Arctic Turn!

I suspect that you're chance of a correct identification hinges mostly on the quality of the photo (which is stated on the website). It needs to be in-focus and as much of the animal or plant shown as possible. I will of course be suggesting to anyone that they check the results! (which is especially easy as a wiki link is returned with the id).

I think this is an impressive piece of work and i look forward to seeing how it progresses, and sincerely hope they get some financial backing!

Ben Deed - LERC Officer
Merseyside BioBank

I have had mixed success - though many of my bird photos were photos taken from Birds Britannica - so photo of a photo.  It has got my plants correct so far (again hotos from Flora Britannica).  Though this aside, it is still rather impressive!

I wonder if they would appreciate feedback on whether the photo is correctly idetified (something like  #correctid or #incorrectid) to help with continued development?

Hi Rachel, for info this conversation seems to be progressing in the NFBR faceboook group (for now!)
https://www.facebook.com/groups/2396823 … ment_reply

Ben Deed - LERC Officer
Merseyside BioBank

Thanks Ben