Topic: MapMate licence/development query

Hi

My MapMate licence has just expired and I was about to renew it when I noticed that there haven't been any patches or updates for many months.  And, there doesn't seem to be any plan for MapMate to upgrade to a later version of Access (ideally one still supported by Microsoft).  So what am I paying my licence for?

Does anyone think there would be any mileage in collectively encouraging MapMate to do some development work so that it works with a later version of Access and/or SQL Server Express?  Then it would support larger datasets and users could interface easier with it.

Andy Foy
Ecologist & IT consultant
Andy Foy Consulting (ex-HBIC)

Re: MapMate licence/development query

That would be very helpful.
I think some of the recording schemes would also support this- butterfly conservation and BSBI spring to mind, it is only a matter of time before other major users end up with a full MapMate like us and are forced to use other recording systems.

Lizzy Peat
HBIC

There have been patches from MapMate for every year since 2003 - I would expect some more this year.

I seem to recall that someone (BSBI? RSPB?) made enquiries about moving MapMate to a newer version of Access but not sure what happened. Nothing I guess?

Charlie Barnes
Information Officer
Greater Lincolnshire Nature Partnership

Martin Rand tells me that he took part in discussions at the National Level between the BSBI and MapMate back in 2004 about upgrading the product.
As a result BSBI nationally has had to set up a series of partitioned databases to handle the volume they now receive from the county recorders....so I don't think the discussions went anywhere.
Kind Regards,

Lizzy Peat
HBIC