Topic: Launch of new NBN Gateway (v5)

Hello,
We will be launching the new NBN Gateway on the 18th October 2013.  All dataset administrators should have received an e-mail yesterday with details about this.
We aim to make the transition from the old to the new NBN Gateway as seamless as possible. There will be a slight pause in the loading of datasets as we move from loading on the current version to the new version. Therefore the deadline for submission of datasets to [email protected] for loading onto the current site will be 20th September (these will be live on the 30th September).
Data loading on the new NBN Gateway will recommence on the 4th November.
From the 18th October you will be able to request access to and download data within your LRC boundary, rather than having to request access to whole datasets as on the old Gateway.
Please get in touch if you have any questions.
thanks
Paula

2 (edited by Paula Lightfoot 23-10-2013 14:50:54)

Re: Launch of new NBN Gateway (v5)

Hi,
There is an update on the NBN website about the launch of the new Gateway.  http://nbn.org.uk/News/Latest-news/NBN- … here!.aspx
As many of you know, there were a few bugs in the new site, and thank you to everyone who brought these to our attention.  There was no risk of data leakage, but the system generated a number of 'nuisance e-mails' (e.g. requests for data that was already fully publicly available or which was outside the search area) which has been confusing and very inconvenient for data providers, especially as we appreciate how busy you all are.  We're very sorry about this.  The data download and access request functionality was switched off as soon as we became aware of the issues.  We'll be following up with those directly affected and we will 'housekeep' the access request logs so you won't see these irrelevant access requests on your 'my account' pages, but you will still have the genuine access requests.
Thank you for your patience!
Paula

Thank you Paula for the update which is most helpful

Kind regards
Tim Corner

Hi
The new NBN Gateway is now fully functional - the access request, data download and new account registration facilities were re-instated last Thursday morning, and the bugs that were causing the nuisance e-mails are fixed.
These issues have meant we're a bit behind schedule and won't be able to start loading new and updated datasets this week as we'd hoped.  Instead, data loading will recommence on the 18th November.  The relevant staff at Natural England who deal with LRC MOAs are aware of this delay.  The 5 datasets which were not transferred from the old to the new Gateway (RSPB x 2, Butterfly Conservation, Seasearch and the Marine Biological Association) will be loaded this week.
User guides will also be available on the site shortly, this also has been a bit delayed due to fixing these bugs.  If you have any questions about the new Gateway please get in touch.
Thanks
Paula

Hello again,
As you probably know, you can see who's downloaded records from your dataset(s) in 'real time' by checking the download log on your My Account page on the new Gateway.  You can also opt to receive an e-mail notification every time a user downloads records - this is something you can turn on or off at any time via the My Account page.  If you manage multiple datasets you will need to turn this on for each one separately if you want to receive notification emails for all of them.  I am aware that a consultant has been downloading bird records today for 'statutory work' and 'personal interest'.  I have already contacted them to advise them of the T&Cs and the fact that they do not have full access to the data, and so has another national data provider.
Best wishes
Paula

Hi Paula, This function still isn't working for me i get the notifications but i am still getting a "server error" message if i try to follow the link.

Ben Deed - LERC Officer
Merseyside BioBank

Hi Paula, we'd like to monitor who is downloading our data, by checking the download report every so often. But it appears that some people might be downloading data for all of the UK, even though they perhaps only want to use data for a specific area? e.g. we got a notification for that commercial search which was looking at swifts in Northern Ireland from the RSPB - maybe they were only interested in swifts in NI, rather than in Oxon and Berks?
I'd be very happy to write emails to people who are using TVERC data incorrectly, but not if they're actually not going to be using our data because they've accidently downloaded all the data for the whole of the UK. Also, would that mean that perhaps lots of LRCs would be writing to these people, which might be a bit intimidating?!
So I guess my questions are:
- Is it obvious (enough?) for data-users how to download data just for a specific geographic area?
- Do the download reports definitely only include when people have downloaded data in our geographic area? Or can there be a question data-users need to answer about what County they're actually interested in?
- Should TVERC be writing to people if we spot inappropriate use, or would it be better to report it to you (so that we avoid writing lots of letters).
Cheers,
Camilla

Camilla Burrow
Director, Thames Valley Environmental Records Centre

Hi Camilla
Sorry for the delayed reply. 
Yes, there have been a few instances of users not applying the taxonomic or geographic filters correctly.  Some cases are definitely user error, e.g. the person who only wanted fern data and applied for records of all species!  Others may not be an error, e.g. the person who was interested in otters in Yorkshire but downloaded all otter records for the UK - they may have wanted all UK data as context for their study, or they may have wanted to filter the data geographically themselves in GIS as this offers more functionality than the Gateway filters.  We'll give some thought to whether the download/access request wizard can be made clearer -  although I'm sure there will always be scope for user error. 
The download logs definitely do only get triggered when a user downloads records from YOUR dataset.  This doesn't necessarily mean that they used your records, they may have downloaded them, then filtered them out.  Users may filter out data post-download for a number of reasons, e.g. if it is too coarse resolution for their purpose.
You certainly can e-mail users who have downloaded your data, or applied for better access to your data, to ask for more information about how they intend to use the records etc.
However, it's hard to say whether or not it's inappropriate use purely on the basis of the download log - in the NI swifts case you're referring to, the user claimed to be a consultant but actually works for RSPB. She selected the wrong use category.
Let's see how things progress, it's still early days and people are getting used to the new system.  Some users are making mistakes in selecting filters and choosing use categories from the dropdown list, but also a lot of users are doing it correctly.  We'll keep monitoring this and see what we can do to reduce the capacity for error.
thanks
Paula

Paula Lightfoot wrote:

You certainly can e-mail users who have downloaded your data, or applied for better access to your data, to ask for more information about how they intend to use the records etc.

While I remember Paula, is it possible for emails that get sent to data providers when better access is requested have the "reply to" field set to the email of the user? It would save having to log in each time to the Gateway and copying-and-pasting their email address.

Charlie Barnes
Information Officer
Greater Lincolnshire Nature Partnership

Hi Charlie
Yes definitely possible - someone else has requested this too and it is on the to-do list.  Sorry it can't be done right away but will keep you posted. 
Best wishes
Paula