Topic: Recorder 6 Import Wizard

I was just looking at importing those 1,800+ bird records into R2K2, knowing I will have to edit each group to then enter the time, duration and weather info and realised there were a number of visits where there was more than one observer. So I remembered the Recorder 6 will help with this. Great it will save me having to edit these into those records! We have not migrated yet, it is still in the test phase.

But now I see it comes back to this issue of we have to put the sex/stage / abundance qualifier info into separate columns to import them. With Mike Weideli's SQL code I imported into the database I can produce reports now how we could in R2K2, but here I can not import the records. So, I have to split the data into different columns for the software to then put it all back into the same column (Data) under Measurement Qualifier.

Why has this been done, removing all options for the software to use its own power to work out and see what you have recorded (Male/Female/Larva etc), and get the user to have to tell it and spend a long time splitting up the data to do this? This is so backwards! Sure have the additional options, but keep the original, sensible option please?!

Recorder 6 has so much potential, but I can not see us moving to Recorder 6 at this stage because of these small issues which is going to use up more of my time.

Does anyone else have this prolem? How are you dealing with it please?

Many thanks

Brian

Brian Miller
BMERC Manager
www.BucksMKERC.org.uk

Re: Recorder 6 Import Wizard

Brian, you'll be delighted to hear the problem of abundance importing incompatibilities can be gotten around quite easily with a bit of easy manipulation in Excel. Although you can place abundances in individual columns, you can also place them in one column, delimited (I think - not got Recorder in front of me right now) with a comma or semi-colon or space. So, you can have an abundance column with cells containing the following (for example):

1A 2J

And it will, on import, ask you to match what A and J mean (Adult and Juvenile for instance). Where you've got two columns in Excel, you can create a new one, then use a worksheet formula something like this (given that cell E2 contains the abundance and F2 contains the qualifier):

=E2 & " " & F2

This will give you 1 Adult in your new column if you had 1 as the abundance and Adult as the qualifier. There's a gotcha though - make sure you remove and spaces from the qualifier first. So if you've got Adult Male in there as the qualifier, do a search and replace on the space so that it looks like this: AdultMale. The resulting joined column would then look like this: 1 AdultMale. The import wizard will ask you to match it up to the correct qualifier on import and, what's more, it'll remember your choice, so you only have to match once.

You have to remove the spaces from the qualifier otherwise the IW will think, in my example above, that Male is a new abundance

Hope this all makes sense.

Charles.

Charles, would you mind uploading this tip to the Wiki as I'm sure it will be useful for a lot of people.

Thanks

John van Breda
Biodiverse IT

Charles,

Many thanks for pointing this one out. Having just tried it it works fine, actually no it works great.

Feeling rather foolish it does actually talk about this method in the help doesn't it... Oh well, lesson here I suppose is assume nothing, but if you do and it does not work, check the help first!

Cheers

Brian

Brian Miller
BMERC Manager
www.BucksMKERC.org.uk

5 (edited by AndyMFoy 16-08-2006 15:10:46)

After reading through all the posts over the past few days to get up to speed on using Recorder I finally have a question to post relating to the Import Wizard and abundance data ...

I am trying to import taxon occurrences in Recorer 6 using the DAFOR scale for abundance, e.g. assigning the letter "R" for a rare occurrence.  I have added a new term list entry for an abundance measurement unit of DAFOR as Text.

If I import a taxon occurrence using the Abundance Data column with a value of "R Adult" it correctly assigns the "R" as the Data to the Qualifier "Adult", but it automatically seems to select the Unit as "Count" and the Accuracy is set to "Estimate" rather than "Exact" (it is set to "Exact" if I use a numeric Count value instead of the DAFOR Text).

I can get round part of this by selecting the correct Taxon Occurrence Data column, i.e. 'Occurrence of Adult (DAFOR)' using a value of "R" as this will correctly assign the "R" as the Data to the Qualifier "Adult" with a Unit of "DAFOR", but the Accuracy is set to "Estimate".

Is there any way to control which Unit is selected using the Abundance Data column, and any way to override the Accuracy column to default to "Exact" rather than "Estimate"?

I hope this makes sense. Does anyone have any ideas to help?

Many thanks,
Andy

Andy Foy
Ecologist & IT consultant
Andy Foy Consulting (ex-HBIC)

I have answered part of my own question with regard to setting the Unit value by entering the data as Occurrence Data with a value of "R DAFOR" and matching it to "Adult" in the Import Wizard.  However, I still can't see a way around the Accuracy value.  Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Andy.

Andy Foy

DAFOR could be considered an estimate, couldn't it? That doesn't quite answer your question though. So what you're saying is the when the abundance data is a numeric value, the accuracy is assumed to be exact, whereas if it's non-numeric, it is assumed to be estimate? If that's the case, I had never noticed that before and, unfortunately, I don't have a way around it. I would personally go into the database after the import, look for all DAFOR qualifiers and update the estimate to exact.

We do DAFOR data with a Qualifier of DAFOR, a Unit of Count and an accuracy of Estimate simply because this is what the import wizard defaults to. It's not strictly correct, but is easy enough to change with an update query, should it become an issue.

Charles,

Many thanks for the confirmation.  I thought that updating the database after the import would be the most likely solution, but it never hurts to ask.

Cheers,
Andy.

Another question for anyone ...

I would also like to import the associated location information that relates to the Taxon and Biotope information that would be imported via the Import Wizard from Excel files.  The import wizard seems to be able to create new survey events, samples and occurrences, and it will create new locations (when prompted) if they don't already exist, but there seems to be no mechanism to import all the data relating to a new or amended location.

I guess that this cannot be done from Excel files, so I assume my only option would be to do it by creating NBN xml files using matching KEYs from Recorder for existing locations (and their related features) and blank KEYs for new locations.  I have tried this by manually manipulating an exported NBN xml file and it seems to work fine.  The next step would be to automatically generate the xml code around the location data.

Has anyone done a similar thing (i.e. does anyone have any code to generate xml code ready for data imports) or can anyone suggest an easier solution to bulk importing location and feature data?

Thanks,
Andy.

Andy Foy

Andy,

Unfortunately, I don't have any code to do the XML wrangling. Have you considered using the NBN Access database (zipped) format instead? It is probably easier to work with an Access database than it is an XML file.

Charles