Topic: Providing site-based services with Recorder

In the hopes that some LRC people out there may have had experience in responding to requests of this nature and might be able to provide a couple of tips on how to respond to them, here's a request from our BAP partnership for the kind of list  they would like to receive in order to provide them with a baseline survey of all known locations - one spreadsheet-style list for each of the region's habitat BAPs:

1. Site name and location
2. Grid reference
3. Site designation (SSSI, Wildlife Site, etc.); indicate whether all or part, or whether habitat is part of a larger designated site
4. Area (this in its broadest sense to encompass polygon definitions)
5. Ownership
6. Date last visited by ecologist
7. Condition at last visit (declining, improving etc.)
8. Known threats/opportunities
9. Notable species
10. Cross reference to any survey data, site files, management plans etc.
11. Notes - for example, whether there has been any past grants, landowner contact, etc.

This list goes on to expand into areas of statistical analyses, distribution maps and summaries and recommendations.

Eminently reasonable expectations from the enquirers point of view.

Whilst Recorder can deliver some bits of this, my impression is that the above demands have taken us into the realms of some other kind of site management application altogether.
Even the simplest requests are proving difficult, for example the query that just lists ownership for each location (without cheating - you've got to include both individuals and organisations in the same single output list without any post-output reformatting to remove double lines)is horrendously difficult.
So if anyone can answer questions about appropriate applications, data exchange between Recorder and same, project plans and costs of pursuing a county-wide plan based on requests like the above, a good book or article which explains relational databases or best technical fixes to give location-based output which might keep my enquirers at least a little bit happy (e.g. a filter on one BAP designation but a "from and "to" date associated with a second designation (Wildlife Site)- if there is one) then I shall be very pleased to hear from you.
Darwyn Sumner
P.S. same item on Recorder Smartgroup and elsewhere

Darwyn Sumner

Re: Providing site-based services with Recorder

Darwyn,

It strikes me that most, if not all this data, can be obtained from Recorder and that getting help from a reseller to set up the appropriate reports would be cheaper than implementing a new application and linking it to Recorder.

A tip for you - there is a user defined function called dbo.ufn_GetFormattedName which can easily return either an individual or an organisation from a Name_Key without any form of duplication.

John van Breda
Biodiverse IT

3 (edited by Rob.Bradley 16-03-2006 10:13:03)

Re: Providing site-based services with Recorder

Darwyn, as mentioned elsewhere on this forum, we are looking to R6 to act as both data repository and means of data input predominantly for biodiversity species. Initally I believe, the empahsis is to collate and digitise Trust Reserves' data; whether Wildlife site data will be incorporated in the future is outwith my remit.

Our data management unit uses Arc 9 & ArcInfo for detailed GIS work and has rolled out CMS over the past year, as an intergral tool for Reserve and Conservation management. R6 analysis is expected to be done via the two simple links to CMS, hence you do not see many posts from me regarding the Reporting Wizard.

Our timetable is to get R6 working fluidly, updating and digitising existing and historic datasets in standalone machines at Reserve offices around the country by Ocotber 2006. All data will be transferred & stored in a Server at HQ which is backed up daily.

Darwyn Sumner wrote:

Whilst Recorder can deliver some bits of this, my impression is that the above demands have taken us into the realms of some other kind of site management application altogether.

Even the simplest requests are proving difficult, for example the query that just lists ownership for each location is horrendously difficult.

I will keep you posted on how this works out, however from your post, it seems llike viable integration with a management planning system may be a simpler way to proceed instead of trying to get R6 to be all singing and dancing system.  We will literally be writing the book on this during the project, and as each page in the manual is proofed (& field tested), I intend to include them into the exisitng wiki.

Darwyn Sumner wrote:

So if anyone can answer questions about appropriate applications, data exchange between Recorder and same, project plans and costs of pursuing a county-wide plan based on requests like the above, a good book or article which explains relational databases or best technical fixes to give location-based output which might keep my enquirers at least a little bit happy (e.g. a filter on one BAP designation but a "from and "to" date associated with a second designation (Wildlife Site)- if there is one) then I shall be very pleased to hear from you.

I trust this goes some way in responding to your post & if I can shed any more light on things, don't hesitate to get in touch, Cheers now, Rob.

Rob Bradley
Edinburgh