Topic: Providing site-based services with Recorder
In the hopes that some LRC people out there may have had experience in responding to requests of this nature and might be able to provide a couple of tips on how to respond to them, here's a request from our BAP partnership for the kind of list they would like to receive in order to provide them with a baseline survey of all known locations - one spreadsheet-style list for each of the region's habitat BAPs:
1. Site name and location
2. Grid reference
3. Site designation (SSSI, Wildlife Site, etc.); indicate whether all or part, or whether habitat is part of a larger designated site
4. Area (this in its broadest sense to encompass polygon definitions)
6. Date last visited by ecologist
7. Condition at last visit (declining, improving etc.)
8. Known threats/opportunities
9. Notable species
10. Cross reference to any survey data, site files, management plans etc.
11. Notes - for example, whether there has been any past grants, landowner contact, etc.
This list goes on to expand into areas of statistical analyses, distribution maps and summaries and recommendations.
Eminently reasonable expectations from the enquirers point of view.
Whilst Recorder can deliver some bits of this, my impression is that the above demands have taken us into the realms of some other kind of site management application altogether.
Even the simplest requests are proving difficult, for example the query that just lists ownership for each location (without cheating - you've got to include both individuals and organisations in the same single output list without any post-output reformatting to remove double lines)is horrendously difficult.
So if anyone can answer questions about appropriate applications, data exchange between Recorder and same, project plans and costs of pursuing a county-wide plan based on requests like the above, a good book or article which explains relational databases or best technical fixes to give location-based output which might keep my enquirers at least a little bit happy (e.g. a filter on one BAP designation but a "from and "to" date associated with a second designation (Wildlife Site)- if there is one) then I shall be very pleased to hear from you.
P.S. same item on Recorder Smartgroup and elsewhere