Topic: Help with Help (Recorder 6)

Umm..does anyone else have a problem with Recorder 6 help. Having upgraded our main desktops to XP SP 2, the (Recorder 6) help system is broken.  I get the index tree from Rec20hlp.chm but no content in the right hand side pane. Same thing outside of recorder viewing chm file.

I can open and read other chm files ok, so it's not a system wide bug.

Recorder help works ok on a Win2k machine. Checked registry settings (on both machines ) and they point to the correct location.

Any tips gratefully received.

Cheers.

Re: Help with Help (Recorder 6)

Dave,

Are you running the help file locally or from the network?  I have heard of this before, where a recent Windows update has prevented chm files from loading from a network.

John van Breda
Biodiverse IT

This came up once before. Darwyn sent me a fix. Save the following as a .reg file and import into your registry and the help file should start working again:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\HTMLHelp\1.x\ItssRestrictions]
"MaxAllowedZone"=dword:00000001

I just checked my own R6 help file and it was indeed not working. I imported the fix and all seems to be well again.

Charles

Thank you both for the replies.

John, yes it is on a network (Recorder 6 server) and the chm does not open from either "my network places"  ( makes me sound like a six year old :-) ) or from a mapped network drive. The client machines are kept up to date with MS patches & updates.

Charles, thanks (and to Darwyn) for the fix. I'll give it a go today and let you know if it works in order to prove it's the same fault. Is the formatting as per your post with the attribute/value pair below the reg key with a line break, or should it be all one one line?

I'm sure it's already being discussed, and I know there is a lot of work involved to organise this, but it would be really handy to try and build a knowledge base on the Recorder web site now to form a picture of these problems. If we could have posting rights then whenever someone has fixed, or been informed of a fix, we could help by publishing the info. Over time the knowledge base would be the first port of call for help.

Or maybe extend the documentation wiki to handle this. Have logins been passed out to community members yet BTW?
Or extend this forum to handle these, perhaps more technical issues. Charles, can the forum software support another level in the topics tree?
I.e.

Index -> Recorder -> Knowledge Base -> Installs -> posts
Index -> Recorder -> Knowledge Base -> Registry -> posts

but then again this would work too I guess.

Index -> Recorder Knowledge Base -> Topics -> posts

Thanks & Cheers all.

Update on fix. It works!

The only extra bit of information I can add to the process it that the .reg file needs the current regisry version. I looked in my registry backup file and used the first line of that. So my file was chm.reg containing the following. (Charles I've answered my own question on the line break - your post was formatted "as is" - ta.)

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\HTMLHelp\1.x\ItssRestrictions]

Thanks again for the tip.

Cheers.

I found that I had to specify the URL of the location of the Help file too -- so my "Recorder6_chm.reg" file became:-

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\HTMLHelp\1.x\Itssrestrictions]
"UrlAllowList"="\\\\corpdata03\\Dbases\\Recorder6\\Help"

DBAndrew wrote:

I found that I had to specify the URL of the location of the Help file too -- so my "Recorder6_chm.reg" file became:-

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\HTMLHelp\1.x\Itssrestrictions]
"UrlAllowList"="\\\\corpdata03\\Dbases\\Recorder6\\Help"

Hi DBAndrew,

I have just fixed one machine on my network which would not work with the usual fix using MaxAllowedZone. Using your timely post, I tired the above fix, but still no joy. After a bit of research I used this;

UrlAllowList=\\HARRIER\RECORDER_6_SERVER\HELP;file://\\HARRIER\RECORDER_6_SERVER\HELP

I could then read the help file from the network browser, but not via Recorder! Given that I mapped the network drive, the Recorder desktop icon was pointing to the mapped drive (R:\). When I changed the shortcut to point to the network drive (\\HARRIER...etc) help works within Recorder.

So, thanks for the tip which lead to a solution.

Well this is an interesting thread as I just assumed the help file not working was just another undocumented feature. I've just installed 6.13.2.176 as a clean install and the help file has the menus and no content. I wasn't surprised. It'll be interesting to see if I have to do this fix on 20 or 30 machines!

I can confirm the fix works once R6 workstation restarted.

Tony Price
Data Manager, Somerset Environmental Records Centre (SERC)

It'll be interesting to see if I have to do this fix on 20 or 30 machines!

Fun!

There must be a way to automatically update the registry on those machines, no? A one-off login script, perhaps?

Charles

The help on Recorder 6 server version stopped working at some point recently on all our workstations (without us changing Recorder 6) - I searched and found this thread but we haven't tried the fix from here yet - I'm guessing a windows update must have upset things at some point...

Most of our computers also have a standalone Recorder 6 installed, and the chm file from that on the C drive works by opening directly, so at the moment I am using the help that way with a link on my desktop. Unfortunately this means I can't use F1 to get context-sensitive help within Recorder, and I seem to remember Sally saying in our training that there are certain bits of help which are almost impossible to find by using the index/contents, although perhaps the imminent new version will improve that.

p.s. It was only last week that I tried to find out about this problem and it took me a while to find this thread since I'd forgotten this part of the ALERC forum existed - could someone possibly summarise it (I would but don't completely understand everything on it so it would have to be literally a copy and paste) and pop it on the NBN Recorder forum or even the wiki?

Teresa Frost
WeBS National Organiser, BTO. NFBR Council Member.
ex-ALERC/CBDC/KMBRC

charlesr wrote:

There must be a way to automatically update the registry on those machines, no? A one-off login script, perhaps?

Charles

You're right of course. I rarely think of that one. I shall add it today. It may not work as the user is required to approve the update.

Tony Price
Data Manager, Somerset Environmental Records Centre (SERC)