Topic: XML reports in Recorder 6

Mike Weideli reckons the XML reports are the way to go for all those analyses that used to be fulfilled by the SQL add-in (which the ordinary reports couldn't handle) and on which we developed a considerable reliance prior to trading it in for the new version.
I've given it a bit of a go from Mike's guidance and it looks as though it could work out pretty well.
The problem now is the writing of the script.
In old Access you could fiddle around with your queries until you got it right but this is not so easy in R6. Hannah did show me a method of checking SQL using one of the more advanced versions of Access (which I haven't got).
Mike's working on guide notes along these lines but I'd appreciate any additional tips, recommended books, downloadable tools etc.
Darwyn

Darwyn Sumner

Re: XML reports in Recorder 6

Darwyn,

It's Access 2003 you'll be needing. It offers a native interface with SQL Server (i.e. not via ODBC) via what it calls 'projects'. This means you get the Access frontend to work with the SQL Server backend. More on Access Projects here:

http://snipurl.com/l9rl

But there's a whole lot more to it than that. If you want to get the best out of SQL Server, and thus XML Reports, you'll need to learn Transact SQL (T-SQL), SQL Server's own flavour of SQL. For that, I recommend Professional SQL Server 2000 Programming , which covers in-depth most everything you'd want to know about SQL Server.

Charles

Thanks, Charles. I've been reluctant to upgrade for some time now due to the implications for all the other applications I have written in Access 97 but it looks as though I'm condemned to move with the times now.
I looked for Access 2003 prices last night, about

Darwyn Sumner

If you're registered as a charity or educational establishment you can purchase copies of Access much cheaper - around

I mentioned this on the phone to you Darwyn, but thought I'd post here as it's useful information.

SQL Server Management Studio Express also has a visual query designer, allowing you to easily create and play around with views and so on. It's available as a free download and is compatible with MSDE and other versions of SQL Server 2000.

Charles