Topic: Download failed or was stopped by user?

I've been getting this message when trying to obtain a sync file from the MapMate website. It says it is part downloaded and I know that I did not stop it.

When I first tried to download it I did get a Windows firewall message, the first I'd had on my workstation. I disabled the firewall [it should have been anyway] but now I cannot download this sync.

Has anyone any ideas please?

Tony Price
Data Manager, Somerset Environmental Records Centre (SERC)

Re: Download failed or was stopped by user?

Tony,

I had a similar problem at Hants Wildlife Trust following the installation of the Windows XP service pack 2 - as far as I remember we had not been able to resolve it by the time I left the Trust, and the work-around was to link our MapMate computer directly to the web via its internal modem, rather than going through the Trust's main server connection. Our IT support was unable to explain why the download was being blocked through the server.

There have been issues reported on the MM-users egroup, but most seem to refer to conflicts between the XP firewall and other firewall software on the same machines.

Has anything changed in your XP/firewall settings recently?

None of the above is an answer I'm afraid; might be worth asking on the users egroup, or contacting MapMate support.

Martin

Martin Harvey

As I say I was unaware that my Windows firewall was active. I have downloaded files to mapmate on this machine earlier in the year without any problems. So I expect it is a problem with either my new 2003 server, some new setting in the router or more likely that an update for windows XP that has changed things.

As for asking the egroup, that might be an idea. I had checked mapmate.co.uk and found a reference to an egroup but no real reference to it. I've check search engines and only found it being refered to on this site. That being the case it is very hard to join such a secret society.

The outcome of this is that Mapmate will not work for me anymore. I could get people to email direct I supose but it can be a little difficult trying to expain to some about attachments.

Thanks though it may mean I'm not alone.

Tony Price

4 (edited by mcharvey 27-10-2005 08:41:05)

Tony,

Not sure why the egroup is not publically accessible nor advertised on the MapMate website, but to join you have to request an invitation from its moderator, who is Ian Thirlwell:
ian1945 AT ntlworld.com

Martin

Martin Harvey

The old e-group was targeted by some pretty tasteless spammers, and there was no moderator to stop them. The only way to solve the problem was to close the old one, and start again with an invite only ststem and less obvious name. There was some speculation about the 'Mate' part of the group name being partly responsible for the targetting, hence the new name (MM-Users).

Dave

Dave Slade
Senior IT & Records Officer,  SEWBReC
13 St Andrews Crescent, Cardiff, CF10 3DB

Tony,

Are you still having problems with MapMate downloads? The latest MapMate newsletter (no. 43) includes notes on a conflict with Norton Antivirus 2005/2006, that can prevent FTP connections. A fix is provided. Not sure if this is related to the problems you were having, but if you haven't seen the newsletter I can forward it (you can also sign up for the newsletters on the MapMate website of course).

Martin

Martin Harvey

7 (edited by Tony Price 15-10-2009 07:58:33)

Thanks for that Martin. I don't always have time to read the news letters and I have a big download being sent today. Hopefully I will find a solution this time.

Thanks also to Dave & Marting re the MM-Users. Time to revist this one.

Tony

It seems this is a firewall issue. The only problem is that I never have problems with other software. I can use ftp and peer-to-peer application with no alteration to my workstation or to the company firewall. So at present I'm at a loss as to why MapMate has problems. I installed it at home and have no issues there but this is not a good outcome so far. We'll see what happens next.....

Tony Price