Topic: Export from Recorder3 to MapMate

Well having accepted the demise of Recorder 3 in the records centre we had to make recommendations to those we support for a replacement. MapMate seems to fit the bill. I have the responsibility for conversion of the data. The problem seems to be that there is no account here or on the NBN of anyone doing this. From my dabbling so far I have come up with some queries not least so there is consistency across LRC's.

Any help on the following would be good;

Vague Dates: For most there is no problem as Summer 1991 can be translated into a start and end date. Likewise if you have 1991- it must have been between then and the date of entry. The problem I have is what to do with -1991. I have to assume at the moment that 1/1/1991 - 31/12/1991 is the way to record it but adding to the comment the original date.
What would you do bearing in mind that there are a few hundred thousand records to translate?

Abundance: In MapMate the convention is to use the abundance of '0' or !n to indicate that it was present without a record of the number. In Recorder 0 has been used to indicate absence of species. I have many records of absence and wondered what convention others have adopted. As far as I can see it is possible to record -1 in MapMate. Although the first line in the help for Quantity says this '

Tony Price
Data Manager, Somerset Environmental Records Centre (SERC)

2 (edited by kitenet 16-10-2009 11:02:22)

Re: Export from Recorder3 to MapMate

Hi Tony,

As discussed over on NBN it's a while since I did an R3-MapMate transfer, but FWIW here are my thoughts.

Tony Price wrote:

Vague Dates: The problem I have is what to do with -1991. I have to assume at the moment that 1/1/1991 - 31/12/1991 is the way to record it but adding to the comment the original date.
What would you do bearing in mind that there are a few hundred thousand records to translate?

Some of the data I dealt with was very poorly documented and dates of -1991 could have meant 1990-1991, or almost any year before 1991 (e.g. where 1991 had been given as the publication date of a record that had no record date). Where there was a major dataset associated with a particular record I made a judgment as to when that recorder had been active, and put a range of, e.g., 1960-1991, but in other cases I just put everything to a default very wide range of something like 1600-1991.

That solution is not ideal, especially as MapMate tends to use only the "Date" field (without the "DateTo") in many of its standard queries, so we ended with lots of records that in standard reports appeared to have been made in 1600, but to make the date range more precise would in some cases have been an unjustifiable over-interpretation of a vague record. Of course, whether such vague records deserve a place in the database at all is another question.

Tony Price wrote:

Abundance: In MapMate the convention is to use the abundance of '0' or !n to indicate that it was present without a record of the number. In Recorder 0 has been used to indicate absence of species. I have many records of absence and wondered what convention others have adopted. As far as I can see it is possible to record -1 in MapMate. Although the first line in the help for Quantity says this '

Martin Harvey

Pages 1

You must login or register to post a reply

ALERC Forum → LERC Databases → Export from Recorder3 to MapMate