Topic: NBN conference

Hello,

Has anyone found anywhere low-budget and not-horrible to stay in York for the NBN conference? Thought I'd ask before I throw myself at the mercies of booking.com.

Bob Foreman and myself will be coming from Sussex - probably travelling up the Wednesday night before - so if there are any ALERC folk around it would be nice to meet you (Network Rail willing).

Clare

Re: NBN conference

I'm staying at the Premiere Inn (Blossom St. North) on Wednesday and Thursday night...

Mark Pollitt
SWSEIC (formerly DGERC)

Hello,

Three of us from TVERC myself, Caroline Coleman and Lucy Lush will be driving up on Wednesday night. We are staying at the Premier Inn York North West which was

Rachael

Assistant Ecologist, HBIC

I can't help but feel that a pub might be in order.  It would be nice to have pre-conference drinks for a conference that I am not responsible for.

I haven't booked yet, but think I will probably opt for a Travelodge.

Tom Hunt - ALERC National Coordinator

Thanks for the replies! We're coming up from Sussex by train, so we've opted for the Premiere Inn (Blossom St. North). Hopefully see you there Mark smile

I will be staying at York Hull Road Travel lodge with others from the BTO on the Wed and Thu nights (for those who haven't heard, this is my last month at CBDC!)

Hope people will support the awards ceremony on the Thu eve at Merchant Taylor

Teresa Frost
WeBS National Organiser, BTO. NFBR Council Member.
ex-ALERC/CBDC/KMBRC

The official ALERC pub is yet to be announced.  Keep an eye on the conference area of the forum for more details.

Talking of the NBN conference - I am speaking on the Friday on "The Role of Local Record Centres in the Planning System". If anyone has any burning issues they would like me to include please let me know - either here or email me directly ([email protected]). Thanks

Suzanne

Suzanne Waymont
Greater Manchester Ecology Unit/ Greater Manchester LRC

I'm only at the conference on the Thursday, but looking at transport options, looks like I'll need to head down on the Wed so this thread will be a useful reference!  If there's any 'networking' on the Wednesday eve, give me a shout - hope to meet lots of you at ALERC, but be nice to catch up.

Be sad to see you go Teresa - all your help and support has been greatly appreciated!  Best wishes for your next endeavours smile

Linds

Lindsay Bamforth
Fife Nature Records Centre,
Information Officer

Sorry to be a bit late contributing to this discussion.  Our LERC is based in York so we have no excuses not to attend the NBN conference this year!

In case anyone is not yet booked in, I would suggest that Premier Inn blossom street is a better bet than the North West, onm;ly because the latter is out on the Northern Ring road.  Better for car access but in the city is easier to get to the Mercant Taylors/the nominated pub.

We are happy to organise the 'LERC fringe' event on whichever evening is better for people - its sounding like Wednesday at the moment.  A short walk round York to see some of the sites, suggesting pubs to meet in, booking a table at a curry house are all things we could do.  We can arrange this nearer the timne, once we've done our own conference!

We will be in the process of moving offices, approx 100yards across the square, and we have to be out on Nov 20th, so its possible I might bribe you fellow LERC people with the promise of beer, in return for carry a box or two across to our new offices :-)

If anyone needs further advice on travel or accommodation, feel free to drop me an email or give me a ring.

Mark Wills
Director, ALERC
Ecological Information Officer, N&EYEDC

ALERC will be having a stand at the conference and any help staffing it will be appreciated.  It shouldn't be too onerous.  All you will be required to do is answer questions on LERCs in general, explaining what they do etc.  We will  be trying to show the benefits of accreditation so you might need to answer a few questions on that too.

If volunteers could put their hands up, then I can prepare some kind of rota to ensure there is always someone on the stand.

Thanks,

Tom,
I'll be there and happy to take a turn manning the stand.

Mark

Mark Wills
Director, ALERC

Thanks Mark.  We have a couple of volunteers now, which is great, although one or two more would be handy.

Regards,

I'm at the conference on the Thursday and would be happy to help out if I can be of use as an extra body.  Obviously only been back in the LERC world a short time though, so there will be gaps in my knowledge.  I will not be offended if it would be more of a hindrance - I can always do the tea run instead  wink

I'm staying overnight on the Wednesday at a B&B in Bootham, arriving at 4.30pm.  Look forward to hearing the programme of any ALERC fringe events that eve, Mark!

Linds

Lindsay Bamforth
Information Officer

That's great news.  It's good to have a rep from Scotland.  Do you have a preference which day?

Thanks,

HI

I'll be there helping out too.

Martin

Martin Horlock
Chair of ALERC
Senior Biodiversity Officer
Norfolk County Council

Tom wrote:

Do you have a preference which day?

I'm only at the conference on the Thursday, so Thursday please smile

Linds

Lindsay Bamforth
Information Officer

No problem.  I will email round a spreadsheet for the benefit of all the attending reps soon,

Thanks,

Hi all, in the chaos of trying to move offices I have neglected this thread.

Here is some ideas for the ALERC fringe on Wednesday evening, in advance of the NBN conference on Thursday.

If anyone wants to come to our offices and earn themselves a beer by carrying a box the 100 yards across the Minster square to our new offices, Tom and will be there all till around 6pm.  Our current office is at 5 College Street, York YO1 7JF - probably best off giving me a call on 07919200555 if you are heading there.

If anyone is interested, I am happy to do the scenic route round to the pub taking in some of the sights of York and we'll aim to convene in The Old White Swan, Goodramgate - Google maps link https://goo.gl/maps/1XxJBC9s3CJ2 - for a drink or two and some food.

If anyone has any queries feel free to give me a ring (01904 641631), drop me an email or reply to this thread.

Cheers, hope to see a few of you tomorrow.
Mark

Mark Wills
Director, ALERC