1 (edited by GCER 13-07-2015 09:27:28)

Topic: WildSurveys online

I've just received the pdf guide to The Wildlife Trusts' WildSurveys online. Am I right in thinking that this outlines a new habitat, survey attribute and species recording system which doesn't relate directly to the NBN, LERCs, Recorder 6, typical GIS, or CMSi?

How much have LERCs been involved in its development? I kept hearing bits and pieces about it, but this is the first time I've seen details of the final product. (I searched the Forum but couldn't find much reference to it). If it is "online" there's nothing obvious on 't'internet...

Linda

Linda Moore
Gloucestershire Centre for Environmental Records

Re: WildSurveys online

Hi Linda,

I think your thinking is pretty much right.  They essentially decided to go and do their own thing, despite NBNT trying to persuade them otherwise.  This shouldn't be a problem though so long as data is shared in a sensible fashion.  CPERC might be good people to ask directly about this as I think their Trust is one of the early adopters.  However, I think Phil is currently on leave for a bit.

Regards,

Tom Hunt - ALERC National Coordinator

Interesting. We're currently working with the Lancs. WT to deliver a three year partnership project which encourages existing and new recorders to send records to LRCs. I've just asked them about this and they're unaware of it. It'll be interesting to see what happens when its rolled out up here.

Ben Deed - LERC Officer
Merseyside BioBank

Found reference to WildSurvey here: https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&r … 3015,d.ZGU

An interesting document in itself. Tom is ALERC involved?

Ben Deed - LERC Officer
Merseyside BioBank

And this is the living map they are developing http://blx1.bto.org/livingmap/public/ho … panel=home

Ben Deed - LERC Officer
Merseyside BioBank

No, we are not involved.  This something the Wildlife Trusts decided to do by themselves.

Regards,

Tom Hunt - ALERC National Coordinator

Thanks for the responses. Oh, well; we'll just have to see how easy it is to share the records, I guess.

Linda Moore
Gloucestershire Centre for Environmental Records

We were involved a couple of years ago - our local Trust was one of the early adopters and asked our opinion on the various docs & methods presented. LRCs (and the NBN) are clearly mentioned in the dataflow, as is the need to use iRecord (to not duplicate the verification side of things). Data flow was (from our POV) WildSurveys -> WT -> LRC, but as we manage the WT data on their behalf, that makes things easier. No data yet though...

Charlie Barnes
Information Officer
Greater Lincolnshire Nature Partnership