Topic: Not Windows 8.... Who uses MapMate?

Hi Gang, I have just finished reading 'MapMate Alerts!  Issue 110'

The key point is that MapMate...'have now, regrettably, and until further notice, decided to drop any recommendation that MapMate will run on Windows 8 (or subsequent Windows versions) for prospective or future users.'

In Hampshire we still have a large number of recording groups who exchange with us using MapMate. Which other local records centres out there are in the same boat?

Lizzy Peat
HBIC

Re: Not Windows 8.... Who uses MapMate?

We are too. MapMate has become part of our core strategy and delivers around 200k + records each year. It is of course possible we will know the outcome in a few weeks when Windows 10 starts to roll out.

Tony Price
Data Manager, Somerset Environmental Records Centre (SERC)

We use MapMate too; it's our main source of data exchange with a small but prolific handful of recorders. For example, there are over half a million vascular plant records on MapMate, and a good 100k or so added each year. It has its flaws but on the whole it's useful for recorders who produce and/or collate a lot of records for one particular group. The mapping facility is quite good, too; it produces nice little atlas maps but also things like record density, phenology etc. which are tricky to set up using alternative software. It would be a shame to lose it given the amount of work that has gone into it over the years.

Linda Moore
Gloucestershire Centre for Environmental Records

Ditto here - at least 10 users (and more probably who we don't sync with direct), including major groups like plants, moths. Some people haven't been affected at all and are running it fine on Windows 8.0 / 8.1. Seems a bit hit and miss.

Charlie Barnes
Information Officer
Greater Lincolnshire Nature Partnership

We have a couple of licences and our main use is similar to those already described, i.e. as a way of receiving data from those groups or individuals who use MapMate as their main recording system so we can stick it into Recorder.

In terms of both number of users and number of records the main users are Surrey Botanical Society. In response to the Newsletter they have already been in contact with BSBI to seek their opinion. Their response was prompt and probably realistic i.e. MapMate may become unusable for many over time (and perhaps sooner rather than later although clearly early adopters and the owners of new laptops will be at the forefront) and as such, alternatives will need to be considered. Suggestions given included both LivingRecord and iRecord, fine for new data but for an existing dataset??

Alistair Kirk
Surrey Biodiversity Information Centre Manager

Given the format of the database (Access) it should be relatively painless to convert it and inject it into something else, even without a working copy of MapMate. A simple SQL query on the database should do the trick?

Charlie Barnes
Information Officer

7 (edited by bazmole 16-06-2015 12:16:40)

For now there is always the option of running MapMate in a virtual environment. At Greater Manchester LRC we are using VirtualBox and licensed copies of XP (easy to get from eBay and Amazon for <

Thanks Paul, thats very interesting and if Wolfgang can get our IT department to agree, it could be our plan B too.

Lizzy Peat
HBIC

charlieb wrote:

Given the format of the database (Access) it should be relatively painless to convert it and inject it into something else, even without a working copy of MapMate. A simple SQL query on the database should do the trick?

Yes indeed find the query that is normally used, within the MapMate tables and run it in Access. I do like the virtual machines idea. Many users here use a virtual Win7 on the server and I run a few virtual machines at home to avoid the excess clutter that builds on windows systems.

Tony Price
Data Manager, Somerset Environmental Records Centre (SERC)

Another option - I've successfully MapMate in a virtual Debian 8.2 running Wine 1.9.1 - seems to be fine, analysis tree and all!

Charlie Barnes
Information Officer

We run a copy of MapMate here and it works fine on Windows 10. I did have to install it into the root of C:\ as Windows 10 does some strange things when programs try to write to anything stored under Program Files, but on the whole we haven't had any major issues. We don't use any of the mapping features so I can't comment on that - we only use MapMate as an intermediate step when importing data, i.e. we import the sync file, extract the records into our database then revert MapMate back to an empty copy.

Tim May
Swyddog y Systemau Gwybodaeth/Information Systems Officer
Cofnod - Gwasanaeth Gwybodaeth Amgylcheddol Gogledd Cymru/North Wales Environmental Information Service
http://www.cofnod.org.uk

The intimation is that its updates to Microsoft Office that are causing the analysis window to break.

Charlie Barnes
Information Officer

If anyone is having trouble with the analysis tree in MapMate, try disabling the Touch Keyboard and Handwriting Panel Service - that worked for me on one of our local recorders computers.

http://www.howtogeek.com/259900/how-to- … -8-and-10/

Charlie Barnes
Information Officer